Moundville is a great
Moundville is located on Alabama Highway 69 some twenty-five miles north of Greensboro, the county seat and about fifteen miles south of Tuscaloosa. It is 911 feet above sea level and is about one half mile from the Black Warrior River. The Alabama Great Southern railroad runs through the west side of town.
Originally, Moundville was called Carthage and was located just north of the present town. Carthage was established as a town in 1823 by the Alabama legislature and held their first election of town president and council in 1824.